Sunday, August 24, 2014

Zawadi, the Dentist, and Changing Lives

Warning: this post is a shameless (though un-paid) endorsement of the work that Compassion does in the lives of people living in poverty around the world.

I've sponsored children through Compassion since I was 16 and I highly recommend it.  They are a solid organization that strives to help alleviate poverty not through handouts, but rather through education and multi-generational training as well as helping with immediate material needs.  I like that they use local staff whenever possible, that they rarely raise costs (I think it was $24/month when I started in 1996 and it's $38/month now), that they don't write asking more money beyond your monthly sponsorship, and that they encourage and help facilitate site visits of your child when possible.  If you're interested in making a very tangible difference in the life of a child, here's their website, where you can learn more: Compassion 

This weekend I got a letter from my current Compassion kid, Zawadi.  Compassion facilitates these communications to and from the kids and sponsors maybe about 4 or 5 times a year, and it's always fun to read what is sent.  Zawadi is six and lives in Kenya.  One day soon I expect I'll be getting letters that she writes herself, but for now they're often fill-in-the-blank type formats, and they're always written for her by a Kenyan Compassion staff person.  This letter made me laugh (as per usual) and also made me feel slightly ashamed of my feelings about going to the dentist.  I thought I'd share it with you, so you can enjoy it too.

Side One, (fill-in-the-blank) "My Dental Checkup"

My last dental checkup was on June 21, 2014.  The dental checkup was done at our project center.  I went for my dental checkup with went alone.  [editor's note: I personally LOVE doing stuff with Went Alone.  That guy's a laugh a minute.]  I felt very happy about going to my dental checkup.  [another editor's note:  really?  man.  I feel like an entitled jerk for not going to the dentist because it's scary and it always hurts me.  I'm such a crappy adult.]  One thing that was done at my dental checkup was thorough teeth checkup.  [editor is note-happy: Wow, didn't see that coming!  In other news, I'm suspicious Zawadi didn't actually fill this one in herself.]  At my dental checkup I learned that sweety sweet foods are not good for my teeth.

Side Two, Freestyle

The top of the page has a coloring and drawing area.  Here, take a look.  I think you'll agree that it's already obvious that Zawadi is an artistic genius.


Please note the strength of feeling our young artist put into the coloring of that puppy.  Look how well she stayed in the lines!!  Is that good for six?  I have no idea.  I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure she's a prodigy.  And check out that handbag she drew next to it!  

Under the pictures is says this:

"Hallo Leslie!!  How are you?  How is your family doing?, she asks.  Zawadi says she thanks God for this far he has brought them.  Zawadi says that her family prays for you and always loves you.  They wish you good health and God's blessings in everything you do."


So yah.  Sponsor a kid.  It's pretty fantastic.  You can do it yourself (even if you're a teenage without a job.  I know from experience).  You can do it as a family (what a great way to teach your kids about helping others, yes?)  You can sponsor as a group (youth group?  small group?  quilting circle?  cricket club?  whatever.)  If you want to know more about it, I would love to talk with you.  $38 a month to change a kid's life.  Plus awesome notes like this one above.  How much easier could it be?

No comments: