Sunday, September 27, 2026

Things That Are Happening

 One of these days I will have the time and brainpower to write an actual blog post.  One that is a story.  This is not that day.  So instead, you're getting another photo update.  Here's what's happening!

Remember how these chips are my favorite and they always come with a packet of ketchup?  Well this one randomly came with mayo.  ?!?!  This face is my reaction to the idea of putting mayo on chips.


On Friday we had an really important ceremony for seniors in Ecuador- Jura de la Bandera (pledge to the flag).  It's lots of pageantry and has a military feel.  Meanwhile, for me it was an hour of horror- trying to get the 8th grade students to be quite and respectful so we can impress the parents who are there to watch their kids.  This type of crowd-control is always my least favorite part of teaching.  Yuck.  Glad it's done for the year.


CHECK OUT THIS COOL TREE!!  It looked like someone had painted its bark like camo!  On Saturday the social committee sponsored an AAI family picnic at the school's property about and hour into the country, called Calicali.  It's a beautiful place.  So peaceful and quiet- a blessed respite after a few months in the bustle of Quito.  


If you just hike up a practically-vertical hill at Calicali, you can visit an adorable "chapel" that also has a bedroom on the top level.  I hiked up with some others and stayed for some alone/Jesus time after the others left.  It was a wonderful time of stillness and silence.  Much needed.  This is a video of the view from where I was sitting on the balcony.



I just learned that I can get rice paper here!  This is an exciting discovery, since I can make gluten-free stuff with them in my new-to-me air fryer.  Exciting days, friends!  Exciting days.


I think I said that I'm moving to a new apartment this week?  Nothing like moving twice in two months!  Thought I'm not excited about multiple aspects of this move, it is happening.  I'm trying to have a good attitude, in spite of the extra time and stress burden.  Anyway, I found a used washer/dryer ("unfurnished" apartments here are legit unfinished.  You have to bring your own appliance) and they were delivered today.  I'm still trying to figure out the dryer venting stuff.  Hopefully tomorrow, the guy who sold them to us will come fix it (or tell me how to fix it).


There are two things I'm SUPER excited about in this new place: having my own bathroom, and the roof access.  Last night I was hanging out at the new place, waiting for our fridge to be delivered (spoiler alert: I waited for more than an hour and a half, and they never came *sigh*)  Anyway, I was feeling grumpy and impatient, and I decided to go do my waiting on the beautiful rooftop.  I walked out and saw this beautiful sight.  Of course, the photo doesn't do it justice.  It was breathtaking.  It was a "kiss on the head from God" moment.  I love the moon, and it was such a gift to get to watch it rise.

Wednesday will be my final day in my old place (at least, that's the plan) and I'm looking forward to being settled in.  

That's it for the moment!  Thanks for coming along for the update!







No comments: