Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I´m in Spain! Whee! I arrived at the airport in Madrid about noon on Monday and after waiting 45 minutes for my luggage to reluctantly emmerge from the conveyer belt, was off with Tim, one of the missionaries that is hosting the English camp I´ve come to teach at. Tim graciously took me to get local currency and protein before dropping me at the bus station so I could get BACK on public transportation again, for a 5 hour ride to Granada.

When I originally planned the trip, it seemed like a good idea.

Anyway, if you´ve ever wondered what happened to the world´s supply of olive trees, I found them. They´re in Spain, between Madrid and Granada. No kidding, yáll, I´ve never seen so many...well, anything...in my whole life. Olive trees out the wazoo. And they´re all in nice, neat little lines. I have pictures, but the USB port at this email cafe doesn´t seem to want to acknowledge my disc reader. Maybe the next time I write I´ll be able to add some pictures for your purusal.

So here I am, enjoying day two of five in Granada. So far I´ve done little more than eat and sleep. My first meal was at a little cafe which I found all by myself while I wandered aimlessly up and down the streets last night. I had gespacho, bread, and tortilla (Spanish tortillas are like omlets, not like Mexican tortillas). And a Coke Light. God bless Coke Light! I managed the whole thing in Spanish, though I could tell that I was not impressing the waitress. So my Spanish´s a little rough. It still beats the heck out of my Mandarin. :)

Tomorrow, the Alhambra. If you don´t know what that is, you should look it up. It´s famous, though I´d never heard of it before planning a trip to Granada. Adios, friends!

PS to Helen and Claire- the spell check doesn´t work here, so it´s not my fault if I spelled something wrong.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

i have ALWAYS thought - and my old friends and family can verify this - that alhambra would make a nice name for a sandwich.

they could serve it IN the castle! how terribly moorish and droll!! [shriek of wild laughter]