Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Garden Rake

Last Sunday morning I woke up in very little pain, which is really nice, and I decided to take a morning constitutional walk. Generally I reserve such walks for weekdays, but since my back has occasionally prevented said excursions, I felt up to it. I put on my tennies and coat and headed out into the beautiful, crisp, fall morning.

About a third of the way through my normal route I saw a big pile of trash, apparently waiting for the weekly garbage collection (which wouldn't come for four more days). There were a couple boxes of junk and some odds-n-ends, crap, basically, rightfully put in the garbage. But then I noticed a big trashcan full of old tools. There were some old snow shovels (the metal kind, that weight 20 pounds BEFORE the snow is added) and some unidentifiable stuff, but what caught my eye was a perfectly good garden rake.

Two thoughts immediately crossed my mind:
1. This is the suburbs; no one even HAS a garden; why do these people have a garden rake?
2. Why are these people PAYING MONEY to throw away a perfectly good garden rake?

Scratching my head at the incomprehensibility of these strange suburban creatures, I took a quick look around to be sure no one was watching, and grabbed that garden rake right out of their trash can and tossed it onto my shoulder, continuing on my merry way.

So, if you or someone you know has need for a nice garden rake, please let me know. Because, of course, I live in the suburbs too, so I also have no garden and therefore no legitimate need of a garden rake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so you. lol. I'll keep an eye out for anyone in need. I have a yard, but no garden or any desire to create a garden. I do have a shed, so if you are unsuccessful in locating a new home for your discovery....it can have a home here. You never know, my cousin may move back or the new owner may want one. Just a thought. (Just a note: any transportation costs would be your responsibility:))