Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Merits of the 'Burbs

Today a woman whom I respect deeply brought to my attention that my frequent suburb-bashing is perhaps a bit one-sided. This gentle lady suggested to me that, possibly, there are very nice, reasonable people who have chosen to live in said suburbs, and actualy enjoy it there.

True, true, on all accounts! In fact, during my time here in the little burb of Wheaton I have met some lovely people, and have enjoyed many of the luxuries this region has to offer.

Therefore, having been convicted of the error of my ways, and in order to make an attempt to overcome the remaining cultural biases against which I continue to battle, I am dedicating this blog post to a list of the things I appreciate about living in the suburbs.

(ahem)

-I have easy access to, quite literally, every chain restaurant known to humankind

-People generally use good grammar

-I have never been nearly run off the road by a piece of farming equipment

-It's easy to find safe places to take walks (sidewalks and parks)

-Tthe close proximaty to Chicago allows me to take advantage of things like museums, fine arts performances, and special city-wide celebrations (like the St. Patrick's Day Parade or eating in China Town)

-People here are generally good drivers (noted exception: cell-phone talkers)

-The public library here is fantastic

-I can walk to the grocery, the college, the library, several eating establishments, the post office, and (most importantly) my choice of three different ice-cream places

-There's a wonderful $3 theater just down the road

-The Christmas decorations around here are phenominal!

-Flying out of a big airport is cheaper than flying out of a little airport

-Lots more country music artists tour in Chicago than in Lima

-There are never big clods of mud trailing off from a field turn-in, AND they clear the roads of snow with lightning-speed

-It is not nearly as unusual here that I am 27 and single

-EVERYONE can get cable :)

-The health care industry here in top-notch

and last but not least

-Pizza places will deliver to my house!!

Well, hopefully this list has redeemed, to some extent, the suburban world in which I continue to live. If you have any additional noteworthy perks of life in the burbs, feel free to share them...

1 comment:

Kara Joy said...

ha ha leslie... this was an excellent post. i loved the line: "I have never been nearly run off the road by a piece of farming equipment" too true, too true. i would add to the list...
-I do not step in dog poop in the suburbs or cities as people are encouraged to clean up after their dogs, or they are fined.
Not in Lafayette baby... I've stepped in much dogpoop walking around that little town. :)
I love you!!
-Kara Joy