Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why I'm Here- A Reminder To Me

Today God talked to me about how much like the Israelites I am.

Now, if you've ever read much of the Old Testament you probably wouldn't consider this comment to be a compliment. Nothing against the Jew, of course. Just that we're all so human and flawed and in need of redemption; they just happened to end up being the poster children.

Anyway, in this particular case God was addressing the issue of my discontent. Recently I read the passage in 1 Samuel where the Israelites have decided that they need a human king, like the other nations around them. Since their miraculous deliverance from Egypt (where they were slaves) God had been their king. He blessed them and caused them to conquer their enemies and to prosper. And at that particular time, God had given them Samuel, a priest and prophet, to lead them. But they weren't satisfied with all of that. They wanted a king. The people in the lands all around them had kings, and for whatever reason, they wanted a king, too.

Samuel (slightly put out that his leadership wasn't satisfactory) consulted God. God pointed out that the people weren't rejecting Samuel, but Him. And he told Samuel to give them a king.

Now, this is the part of the story that is scary. God let them have what they wanted, even though He knew it wasn't the best plan. It was obviously A plan; God still used the David's lineage to bring the Deliverer. But I can't help but wonder what bigger and better blessings God had in store if the Israelites would have been satisfied with Him alone.

Enter me. Thousands of years later, I reenact this ancient story. God has blessed me. He has saved me from myself; forgiven me for forsaking Him; promised me eternal life with Him; offered me abundant life on earth in the meantime; gifted me; given me a ministry; provided for every need and many wants; so many blessings that I stack them in corners and in the closet and forget I ever got them. More blessings waiting in His hands, waiting for me to ask for them.

And yet I look at others and I want what they have. I look at friends who are dating and I want that. I look at married friends and I want that. I look at friends who have children and I want that. I look at friends who have great relationships with their moms and I want that.

I'm not saying it's bad to want what we don't have. All those things are good and healthy, but God hasn't given them to me in this season. The problem comes in when I can't enjoy and appreciate what He HAS given me because I'm too busy complaining about what I DON'T have. Losing focus. Losing perspective. Assuming that what I want is the highest priority.

How many times must I be reminded? It's not all about me. I'm sitting here, staring at those words on my computer screen.
It's. Not. All. About. Me.
God's highest priority is not my latest desire. He's got His sights set higher. I must look up to see where He is aiming.

God, help me to look up. Keep reminding me. Don't give me a second-best option. I want Your best for me, even if I'm not smart enough to recognize it. Help me to keep Your perspective; building the kingdom. Reaching up to the God who created me and reaching out to all He created. That's why I'm here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Les, I needed to read this. I also read it my roommate here in Vancouver to encourage her. She was encouraged. I love reading your blog! I hope one day you become a published writer.
Elizabeth<><

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I second what our friend Elizabeth said. Amen and amen.
Thanks for your honesty...and for giving voice to what a lot of us feel. Love! Amy

mel said...

Something we should all let sink in and really ponder. I fear we are all guilty of this to some degree. Your response to your grass is greener thoughts is to recognize and overcome. I'll add to my prayer list a feeling of contentment for you in the place God wants you to be.

Holly B. said...

You know Leslie, I'm learning that fighting discontentment is a battle in every season of life. But, God is so good to point us back to His goodness and to keep forgiving us. Praying for you from Paris right this instant!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Leslie, for sharing this...touched my heart, too. May your prayer be that of all of us. Tracie :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Many of us hear you talking as we read.:) As Americans/Westerners we are accustomed to manipulating our external circumstances constantly in search of contentment, but as you point out so well, it is only from within, where His Spirit works in us, that we can be content. Love you. A Janie