Saturday, October 30, 2010

"She threw up her hands and..."

I have always hated the phrase, "to throw up one's hands". In the course of the massive amounts of reading that I do, I run across said expression on occasion, and in my humble opinion, "on occasion" is far too frequently.

Am I the only one who envisions "throwing up" as in vomiting, instead of "raising in the air"? Here's what runs through my brain when I see, "And in desperation, she threw up her hands and screamed."

First, the character abruptly stops doing whatever she was doing before, with a look of confusion on her face. She begins to retch. At first it's just dry heaves, but you see her hands begin to jerk at the ends of her arms in time with the heaving. Eventually the poor woman's hands disappear into her body, only to re-appear in the form of vomit a few seconds later.

There the poor character is, looking with shock at her own hands, in a sad puddle of...you know. Makes you hope the character in question is a horrible antagonist. Maybe a home-wrecker or a terrorist mastermind. Oooo, or someone who kicks puppies. In that case I might not mind the hand-vomit as much.

Gross, right? So why does the literary world insist on continuing to use this horrid phrase? Might I suggest an alternative? Perhaps your character could "raise her hands in the air" or even just "throw her hands in the air" instead of throwing them up.

(are these lyrics going through your mind now, too? "Throw your hands in the air, shake your derrière. These three words when you're gettin' busy: Whoomp! They it its! Sing it!")

Ok. I guess that's all I have to say about that. Bye.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Another phrase that baffles me, albeit not nearly as gross as yours, is "Believe you me". I don't get it. What does it mean?

Leslie said...

Well it means, "Hey you: believe me!" but as to why it's said that way? Good question. Maybe it stems from some middle English construction? It reminds me of the direct/indirect object constructions from German, and English is derived from a combination of Anglo-Saxon and old German...

Did I just step over the line from "interesting" to "boring"? If so, sorry... :)

Unknown said...

Ha.. I thought the same when I read this entry's title, vomiting, your going to write about vomiting??? Though I agree with you that the phrase conjures the wrong image, what I find is its not the fault of the phrase itself but today's generation and the association we link to words nowadays. Just need to think of how the word 'gay' has evolved to see this.

So forgive us the new generation, we cannot help ourselves as we're bombarded with trash reality tv, blurring moral ethics, sexual references and bad grammar!