Monday, November 29, 2010

Miracle Cure?

As I was brushing my teeth and lamenting my headache this evening, I remembered an experience from my childhood. When I was maybe 6 or 7, I was spending the night with my Grandma and Grandpa Foster. At some point during the evening, I developed a terrible headache. The pain was so intense that I was crying.

In hindsight I realize that I was having a migraine, but at the time I didn't even know the word. I remember Grandma Foster trying to calm me down and ask me questions about what was wrong. After we had established that I had a really bad headache, and that I hadn't hit my head on anything, Grandma asked this question:

Do you need to have a bowel movement?

I remember, because I didn't know what that meant and had to ask. Grandma chuckled and rephrased the question for me. In case you're curious, no, I did not need to have a bowel movement.

And now the question for today: what was that all about?!? I've had many a headache in my day, but I'm reasonably confident that taking a dump has never been the cure.

So, cyber-readers, since Grandma is no longer with us, I bring the question to you. Any idea what that's about? Is this a generational thing? Some little-known Depression-baby remedy? Or was Grandma Foster just out of related questions, and had she resorted to grasping at straws? Inquiring minds want to know...

5 comments:

josie said...

tim hawkin has the answer at the 30 second mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMm9570-Vns

Heidi Hunsaker said...

umm, not sure about the bm part as the reliever, but what we eat really has a lot to do with some types of headaches!

risalynn80 said...

My mom used to ask me the SAME question whenever I was ill! ...except I was always sick with stomach aches, so it made more sense in that context.

However, I understand from my nutritionist ("mine" in the sense of "I have read her book" not in the sense of "I have met her personally") that *ahem* keeping one's bowels in good *ahem* working condition is a good step toward overall health and physical well-being.

Then of course, there were the medievals (or someone so much like them that the distinction is, here, irrelevant) who referred to the bowels, rather than the heart, as the seat of emotions. How much more interesting must Valentine's Day have been for them...

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across your blog, I find your writing really inspiring and genuine. Especially your blog about surrendering to God, I am going through a very hard time health wise and sometimes its so hard to hold on and keep the faith. Your words have helped me today. Thankyou

Leslie said...

Hi Amanda, and welcome to the blog! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it. It's always encouraging to know there are people out there, in the vast expanse of the cyber-world, who are reading my ramblings. May God bless you as you deal with your health problems and bring healing where you need it most, physical or otherwise.