Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Calling All Modern-Day Robins

Last night I watched Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, one of my all-time favorite movies, and it got me thinking, where are all the present-day Robins?

Not that I think men should start wearing leather shoulder pads and pretending to be a famous British historical figure without a British accent, mind you (and keep in mind that though I can poke good-natured fun at this movie, you may not...kind of like how you can insult your little brother, but no one else can...), but seriously, is it too much to ask that a man be loyal and noble and willing to risk important things in pursuit of a woman he loves?

A couple years back I finally caved to the peer pressure and stopped wearing my ring (a plain, silver band) on my ring finger. Friends told me that men would see it and assume I was married. I say, is it too much for a guy who might be interested to ask around, or even ask me, "is that a wedding ring?" That's not exactly like proposing, is it? I mean, Robin of Locksley was willing to die for Marian. He even said so:

Marian, "You came for me!"
Robin, "I would DIE for you!"

Well ok, maybe it is a little old fashioned and out of style, but it shouldn't be. Because deep down inside, I believe that men want to be the brave, conquering heroes that women wish they would be. So what's the problem? Why can't we as a society figure this thing out and live life like we mean it?

But what do I know? I'm still single...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kind of guy you would want, would be too much of a gentleman to be so forward as to ask if the ring was a wedding ring. I can't think any man would ask that question. (Generally, the only guys that would ask that question are probably not worthy to date you anyway, ie creeps.) For all your dream man knows you are married, or a widow. How horrible would he feel then if he asked? This dream man is semi in touch with his and your feelings so he would think about these things. You will still be pure without the ring; and I imagine you'll have more opportunity to discuss your beliefs with your dream man, now that you are more approachable. I wish you new found success and worthy suitors.

Leslie said...

Perhaps what you say is true; and admirable for that matter. But couldn't said dream man ask around? Do a little research? I'm not asking for more than I do when choosing, say, car insurance. You ask your buddy, "Hey, is she married?" He says, "Nope." End of story. Can't I expect that much?

PS the ring is now on my right, middle finger...indicating my trust in men to fulfill the above scenario... :)

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world, yes. Some men are kind of simple when it comes to these matters. They see ring, they think married. Case closed. Its like when we drop subtle hints to a man, but rarely do they get it. They need things spelled out to them sometimes. It's just the way their brains are wired. Speaking in generalities, they are less intuitive than their female counterparts. Exceptions exist, but I'm not married to one:) He has his moments, but for the most part he follows the norm.

Unknown said...

Its funny.. I read this blog way back when & I remember thinking "true, true" to your comments. But now as I read it again I can't help but say to you, you'll find them in Nottingham. I swear, when I went to play hockey there back in July, lo'& behold, but not surprisingly I found many robins in Nottingham - Reliable Robin, Baskin' Robbins, Rockin' Robin and even a Batman & Robin! I kid you not it was written on the opposition's team shirts plain for all to see! So there, plenty of Robins for one to choose from, your just in the wrong country!