Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Nature of Language

A couple weeks ago I was cleaning out a box in the basement and I came across this little blip I wrote while I was studying German in Berlin. I think it captures nicely how swallowed up my life was at that point by language. It is one of the few things that I've written that I still like after a couple years have passed. I'm putting it on the blog for your contemplation and so that I don't lose it. :)

The Nature of Language

Language is so much more than the sum of its parts. Nouns, verbs, and adjectives don't come close to touching the real meaning of a languages.

Language is about communication, not just talking. Language is about understanding what was meant, not just what was said. Learning a language isn't like learning anything else in the world, because to master another language is to open the door to another world of people. Sure, there are rules and facts and structures. But language is more about feelings than facts. It's more about expression than precision. A language is a living organism; always growing, always changing. It requires time and energy. Like a good relationship, constant upkeep is necessary for ultimate enjoyment.

Language allows us to access one anothers' thoughts. Like an international master key, language stretches across borders of time and space to connect us. It is stronger than appearance or misunderstanding. In the hand of a master, language can overcome race, religion, prejudices, and stereotype. It can end wars, heal hate, restore love. If we let it, language can make our world a better place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Immersing oneself into another culture is the best way to truly appreciate the ability to communicate with others. This can be incredibly frustrating and rewarding at the same time. I know how much my experience changed me for the better...how much it opened my mind and heart to other cultures. I have a greater respect for foreigners living here in the US.