Thursday, January 1, 2009

Beginnings

So here we are. 2009. Wow. I heard on the radio this week that the illusive "they" are adding one second in between 2008 and 2009. Apparently the Earth is slowing down, so they have to add a second to supplement. Like a global time-vitamin, I guess.

Really? It's a little hard for me to believe that the Earth is slowing down. Speeding up I could understand. Seriously, 2008 flashed by in, maybe 8 months' time. How can it be New Year's again?!

Well, in spite of my adamant assertion that last year was shorter than normal, I am pleased to announce that for the first time in memory, I have pondered a list of New Year's Resolutions BEFORE the ball dropped. That is to say, I decided on December 31st. And, because I have essentially zero discipline without accountability, here they are, in all their yet-untested-and-therefore-yet-unfailed, shiny new glory:

-Eat vegetables at least twice a day
-Read the Bible through this year

Tah-dah! I know...perhaps you're thinking what a short list this is. But you know, brevity is actually a fine quality. And in my defence, let's have a virtual show of hands; how many of you have ever successfully kept a New Year's resolution for the whole year?


(crickets chirping...)



THAT'S what I thought. Me neither. So I'm thinking my chances are better if I'm only focusing on two things. I think I can manage two things. Maybe.

You know, I've never read the Bible through, that I remember. I've read all of it, I think, but not all together. Well, wait, maybe not all the minor prophets...I know I was supposed to read them for a Bible class in college...hmm, well, don't tell Dr. Soto.

And as for the veggies. I don't like them. And in Quito they take extra effort. Things like, figuring out what the veggies ARE, cleaning them before you prepare them, learning to cook them here. All extra work that I have just been avoiding. But I begin to be afraid my digestive system is going to forget how to PROCESS a vegetable, and that's no good. So, in my quest to turn from a pretend adult into a real adult I'm throwing in the veggie line.

And you? Any interesting resolutions out there among my faithful readers? In either case I wish you a fulfilling and meaningful 2009. Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I determined to read the Bible through this year, too! Does it still count if I got a head start by reading Genesis during December? I also determined to lose a few pounds by April, and that's a nice resolution because it only has to last until April. ;)

Leslie said...

Hey Marisa,

I think it definately counts to start early. :) Shall we check in with each other every so often? Another friend of mine sent this website with different calendars for reading the Bible through in a year, so I picked one and excited to do it!

The Road Less Traveled said...

Wow, reading the Bible in year apparently is quite popular, because my church is also doing it! Well my new years resolution is to communicate better through blogging. In other words...I hope to be more like you! So are you in Quito or what? I hate that you come to the states and we loose all contact. sniff, sniff...I do miss you. I won't be able to chat with you until I return from London. So not this coming Sunday but the following. Mark it in your calendar! Love and miss ya!