Friday, January 30, 2009

Safe, Dry, and Warm

The best part of rainy season is the time when you sneak home between downpours. You sit in your classroom during the last period of the day, listening to the students try to shout above the din and sigh, silently dreading the walk home in a few minutes. Will it be drizzly, or heavy-duty monsoon rain that floods the streets and makes every oncoming vehicle a hazard?

Today in Study Skills as I talked about how to take good notes, I did just that. Drizzle? Monsoon? Something in between? But then the bell rang and I realized I still had an hour of work to do before I could go home. By the time I'd finished, the rain had quit! Yippee! I walked home blissfully. In the not-rain.

And now as I sit dry and happy in my dining/living room, I'm watching the steady rain fall outside my window in the orange glow of the streetlight. I hear the chirp of the happy treefrogs, listen to the growl of traffic, and am thankful to be here. Safe, dry, and warm.

No comments: