Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas is A-Comin'

In case anyone's counting down with me, only eight days remain between me and a long, boring, FANTASTIC day of flying home for Christmas! That's one more week of school...complete with four Christmas parties, a two grammar quizzes and a Bible verse quiz (lest anyone accuse me of being a cake-teacher). And, not to be overlooked, an ice-skating party with the entire Middle School.



Yes, IMPACT is at it again. Now don't get me wrong; I love teaching Middle School. But I prefer the small doses of my classes (11-4 students per class) to the whole group together. Together they get a little...um, "squirrelly" is perhaps an apt adjective. A few too many hormones and a little less structure than is probably best. But we all need a bit of non-structure I suppose, to learn to manage ourselves without outwardly-imposed rules. I just wish that practice time weren't on my watch. Well, anyway, Alice (the aid of one of my students) has promised to sit with me on the bleachers and giggle at the kids with me. So not a total loss.



I've been trying to remember enough of the funny stuff I see around town to make a list of things for you. Enjoy!



You Might Live in Quito at Christmas Time If...



-Fireworks go off at all hours of the day, for no discernible reason


-All the billboards of Santa Claus say "Jo jo jo" (pronounced like "ho ho ho")


-Christmas time means an increase in crime (boo)

-You come back from your Thanksgiving trip to the beach (which cost you about $100 total for three days) and rejoice in how "cold" it is, even though you can still wear short-sleeves.


-Your Chinese take-out comes with a packet of ketchup and they don't have chopsticks. (admittedly not Christmas related)

-At the school Christmas concert, during the explanation of St. Nickolas (who was from Turkey) the Spanish emcee announces that St. Nick came from "Pavo" (which means turkey like the bird; Turkey like the country is "Turquia")

-The elementary Christmas program is totally bilingual, with some songs sung in eight languages.

-You joyfully stood in the POURING RAIN to pick out a Christmas tree at Parque Carolina

-You spend more time in the mall than normal because it feels like Christmastime inside.


Merry Christmas Everyone!

1 comment:

Danika said...

HA! I love the image of St. Nikolas coming out of a turkey...that's some weird stuffing. :)