Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Homeward Bound

Simon and Garfunkle isn't good to listen to when you're already feeling melancholy. This song just finished:

Tonight I'll sing my songs again,
I'll play the game and pretend.
But all my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony I need someone to comfort me.
Homeward bound,
I wish I was,
Homeward bound,
Home where my thought's escaping,
Home where my music's playing,
Home where my love lies waiting
Silently for me.

Ah, home. An illusive concept in my world. I guess it makes sense that it's hard for me to define home at this point. In the practical sense, I've moved 19 times in the eleven years since high school graduation, including five international moves. [Editor's Note: if anyone wants any packing tips, feel free to ask] But spiritually speaking, I'm not home, either. I'm a visitor and some days I feel my visitor status more strongly than others.

Is that good? Bad? Neither? In any case, I miss things tonight. My family. Ohio. Fall. My new nephew whom I've never even met. My nieces who are growing up without me. Old friends- the kind that know me deep and love me still. Old memories. Old securities. Even things I've never had I find myself missing this night. A husband. Kids. A settled, rooted existence. Knowing where I'll be in two years- or at least thinking I know.

I look forward to some day in the future, when I won't miss anything anymore. When I won't be struggling with a foreign language; with students and coworkers; with someone else's culture; with loneliness; with my own humanity.

One day I'll be home. Safe and at rest and home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Great Song) I can relate on some level. Although I no longer have a language barrier to contend with, I do miss family, Ohio, and fall. (It doesn't feel like October when its 90+ degrees in Texas. I miss the changing leaves, the smell of the air and the crisp cold in the mornings.

I suppose none of us know what God has in store for us down the road. All we know is that our time is so brief on Earth. Props to you for being so obedient to God's call to service. I admire that in you.
~Mel (Eve)

I'll pray for strength and comforting moments that will sustain you until your return to all things familiar.

Ryan said...

Thanks for sharing Leslie. I appreciate your honesty. :)

Jenn =) said...

Amen. Well said. And I love that song!