Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Beware The Power of Prunes

Today I came home from work and sat down to check my email. As I was waiting for the page to load I happened to glance to my left, where we have a small shelving unit to store food. I was pretty hungry, and I saw a container of prunes on the shelf. Now I like prunes, but...you know...it's not exactly something I normally crave. But at just that moment the prunes sounded fantastic, so I grabbed the can and started munching as I looked at my email (note: Sarah Jones, I think they're your prunes, but I'll replace the can before you get back).

It's actually quite dangerous to eat while you're distracted by some other occupation. You run a substantial risk of eating more than you had intended. So before I knew it, my email was all read and the can of prunes was about half gone. I checked the nutritional value, just for kicks, and saw that I had eaten about four servings of prunes. Oh well, I thought. Prunes are good for you.

Fast-forward about two hours.

I'm in the basement watching a movie with Laura, one of my roommates. I've been noticing that my stomach has been growling a lot. Odd. Then suddenly I HAVE to go the bathroom. As in, NOW. I'm thinking, hmm, that's odd. I didn't eat anything that was old or anythi- ah-HA! The prunes!

About this time I have a very vivid memory from my childhood. It's of my father, happily munching away on a bowl of cooked prunes. "They'll keep 'ya regular!", he says with great enthusiasm.

Mm-hmmm. Regular indeed. Beware the power of prunes...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. When I was buying groceries in college, there was a week that WalMart had a sale on Raisin Bran. I thought this was great, as I love eating cereal for supper. Also, I decided to cut back on sodas & to drink only apple juice that week. I was in the bathroom for days!!!

I love reading of all of your travels! I'm wanting to head to Europe in the spring -- wanna come along?!

Brooke said...

oh good, it's working now.

no shame, girl, no shame.

okay, just wanted to say hi and keep writing!
me

Anonymous said...

I told you they would keep you regular ! Now that you know what that ( regular) means.....Keep it up ! Just like you need to clean out your car every so often the old body needs a little attention too ..... :o) Love Dad

Anonymous said...

leslie, my dad and i have a club called the "five a day club," where all members must eat five prunes a day. it's very selective, in that we're the only two people we know who would eat five prunes a day. but perhaps we can recruit at 204 W Roosevelt! hooray!

Anonymous said...

I actually learned that the hard way with Isaiah when he was on baby food. He really loved prunes but I learned that I needed to leaves at least a few days inbetween servings or we had issues.

Ryan H. said...

Awesome story! I will beware the power of prunes.

Anonymous said...

i couldn't help but notice that this posting got the most comments (6, now 7). the power of prunes, indeed. . . .

also, if brooke is your most faithful reader (and it looks like most faithful comment-er) surely i am the second most faithful. there have been several times that i've logged onto your blog hoping you posted something, but alas, nothing. i can't say i'm as starved for communication as brooke, but i do hang out with a baby all day and although she's "squishy" she's not much of a conversationalist.

keep up the blogging. (melody to "wind beneath my wings" inserted here.)

Anonymous said...

Now that's comedy. I have a visual of you watching a movie when all of a sudden this look of terror washes over your face as you run, no bolt, to the restroom. Good times! Remember next time you get yourself in a bind (or lack there of) remember cheese actually is binding. Just in case you need to buy yourself some time:)

Brooke said...

it's me again.

your friend josie is very funny! the wind beneath my wings thing was classic. maybe we could be friends, josie - what do you think?

(your dad is also very humorous, but in a different kind of way.)

EIGHT DAYS LESLIE. it's now been EIGHT DAYS SINCE YOU WROTE A NEW POST.

el-problemo, no? SI.