Friday, August 31, 2007

Fall Constitutional

I've started my own morning constitutional. Webster's defines 'constitutional' as, "a walk taken for one's health". For most of my childhood I thought the word had a different meaning. That's because each summer when my family would go camping, my father would leave our campsite first thing in the morning like clockwork. If we asked where he was going he would reply, "I'm going for my morning constitutional!" Hence, I thought a constitutional meant taking a dump in the morning.

The dangers of learning a language the natural way.

Anyway, my own constitutional adheres much more closely- exactly, in fact- to the denotation of the word. I've started walking a mile each morning right when I wake up. It's fast and easy and starts my day off right. I feel like I've accomplished something and it's a good time to pray.

Considering the joy with which I embrace each extra minute of sleep in the morning, I am quite proud of my accomplishment. But there are a few good reasons to set my alarm clock a bit earlier...

I love to be out in the world while it's still shaking the sleep off of itself. The sunlight making diamonds out of the dewdrops on spiderwebs. The birds reminding each other of the business of the day. The void which is the pre-rush-hour traffic lull. The cool, fresh air. It's like the deep breath before the day hits.

This morning the air was so cold that I could see my breath, which is exciting news because fall is my favorite season. I think I like it best because of the way it smells. Fall starts out smelling like hot sun beating down on the ripening wheat. Next it smells like greasy fair-food. Then it slides into re-paved parking lots and new crayons and sneakers. And the finale: crunchy leaves and bonfires.

How can you not love a season that smells like that?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! I love the line, "The dangers of learning a language the natural way." Classic! Reading this was such a great way to start out my day!

Love to you! Can I possibly add any more exclamation points to this comment?!!!

Anonymous said...

Im afraid that my Dad led me to a similar misunderstanding of the correct meaning of the word "constitutional".

jodi danielle said...

leslie, i love this! I totally agree about fall! It is my favorite season too! Although my reason may have more to do with the fact that I fit better in comfy fall sweaters than tiny summer tops...hmmm maybe i should start my own daily constitutional!