Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Brookey-Baby

Today is my good friend Brooke's birthday. Brooke and I have this really odd relationship. We met in St. Petersburg, Russia in late August 2001 on a study abroad trip. Thus began the 3 months out of 8 years of friendship that we've lived in the same city. Brooke and I both went through some hard times in Russia and through that grew closer together. Close enough, in fact, that our relationship continues. It last through both of us finishing undergrad, me moving to Argentina, Brooke moving to Kentucky for grad school, me moving home after college, me moving to China for a year, me moving to Wheaton for grad school, Brooke moving to Mozambique, and then me moving to Quito. Now Brooke's getting ready to move back to the US this summer, and we'll be in the same country again for a few weeks. I'm pretty excited. It's kindof like a solar eclipse.

Anywho, in honor of Brooke's day of birth, I have compiled a list of some of my favorite things about her. I hope you enjoy it.

Things I Like About Brooke

-When I was very close to becoming an american-student-hermit in Russia, Brooke (and a mutual friend, Liz) swooped in and dragged me, quite literally, out of my room and into the rich experience which is Russia.

-We tend to take turns, Brooke and I, having emotional and spiritual breakdowns. This works out very nicely, since one of us is usually stable enough to help the other, when she is not.

-Brooke once shaved her head in a gesture of love and unity for a friend who had lost her hair from chemotherapy.

-Brooke is the best letter writer I've ever met. Not so much because of what she writes IN the letters, as because of what she writes ON them. The evelope and margins always have funny things written in. Sometimes she draws over the pictures and puts speech bubbles to make the people say funny things. Often she'll tear out a picture from a magazine and write her commentary all over it. It's always a treat to get something from Brooke in the mail.

-Brooke drove up to be with me when Mom died.

-Once for Christmas, Brooke sent me a cd, Norah Jones. She was really excited about it b/c she loved it and was sure I would, too. I did not. However, it turns out the cd was just before it's time in my life. I really like it now. In fact, I'm listening to it now.

-Sometimes when we visit each other, we set out with a vague destination in mind and then end up getting lost in the backwoods of Kentucky. Brooke is equally as unconcerned with this scenario as I am. We always have fun, and we always end up back home. Eventually.

-Brooke helps me to loosen up sometimes. She taught me I don't really need to fold my underwear. It's true! Try it.

-Brooke's blog (africahome.blogspot.com) is amazing. It is the only blog that I read that makes my blog feel inferior to me. Amazing writing. Humor, pain, truth, life. Check it out.

-When I get whiny, Brooke never lets me wallow in self-pity. She has a "if you can change it, change it. If you can't, let it go" sort of attitude that helps me keep perspective.

-I have never known anyone to get so excited about salmon patties.

-I can always count on Brooke to be game for trying out a new ethnic restaurant.

-Brooke knows how to be a long-distance friend. This is especially critical in my life, and hers.

Thanks, Brooke, for your friendship. May this year bring you joy, peace, and purpose.

I larve you more than chocolate fudge. :)

No comments: