Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Why I Love Teaching ESL…

All year I've been collecting the hilariously quotable things that my Middle School ESL students say or write. Here is a sampling for you. Some of the things are easy to understand. Some are totally incomprehensible. Do your best and may you laugh out loud with me.

"God sent the flood because he was very hungry-I mean! …very angry…"
-J

"In case I don't return on Monday, Miss Foster, I want you to know that I think you're a good teacher."
-AH, as we discussed ParentTeacherStudent conferences

Question: What do you think a good writer needs to do to write well?
-Paper and pencils for handwriting
-Because if he do messy he get confuse-Now all the puntuation rules, now how to express and nows how to correct his own mistakes by himself
-To correct hes mistake, writer heary necia, and now go the page go
- A writer needs good capitalzation
A writer needs good pluraration
A writer needs clean papers

Directions: write your own sentence using the vocab word:
Overalls: "Overalls are the coolest pants ever."
Pungent: "After P.E. I'm pungent."

"I think Miss Foster is the best teacher that I never had."
-J

"Miss Foster, I have a little question of your life for you…if that is ok…"
-J

"I slept like a little tree yesterday."
-DB

"When we returned to Quito in new year's eve, I burned my mom, my dad, and I."
-journal entry by G
[editor's note: it's a tradition here to burn effigies of people at New Year's. Usually they burn family memeber or friends. I haven't really figured it out yet, but I know it's not a mean thing]

Question: What is something you do to help yourself study within your learning style?
"I like to be with a cd player while I'm studying."
-AD

Question: Write a mnemonic device to help you remember these words: cardinal directions- north, south, east, west.
Answer: Never eat slamy warms
-AP

"I told him that I felt in the floor because the horse shake it up and because he did not tide him to the tree."
-part of an original story by CP

"That is part of the teacher ecosystem..."
-JA

1 comment:

Marisa said...

This is freaking hilarious!!!