Friday, September 18, 2009

Student Surveys

Just this week I was lamenting the fact that I didn't have anything to write about, and then something happened. I got the results from my student surveys from last year. At AAI each full-time teacher is required to survey at least two of their classes. I had planned to survey all my classes because I'm interested to hear what they had to say. But alas, the end-of-the-year craziness got to me and I forgot. Thankfully I remembered in time get in my two required classes.

As you might imagine, there's a bit of bias involved when surveying 12-14-year-olds on their classes and teachers. Because I know this, I went into the whole thing with the idea of, "This is going to be funny" rather than, "This is going to tell me whether or not I'm a good teacher." I was right. It was funny. And it doesn't really tell me too much about my teaching, other than most of my students seem to like me and I apparently give too much homework. As a side note, in one of the classes I had a student who really hates me. See if you can pick out this student's comments...

In any case, I would like to post some of the funnier responses so you can chuckle with me...


Q: What one thing did you like about this class?
A: It's small and colorful, I wrote a lot. [what?]
A: Projects [I have never had a student express excitment over my assigning a project. I think this is just a lie]
A: Learning something new about God every day [my personal favorite]


Q: What one thing did you not like about this class?
A: The rules
A: The teacher
A: Homework
A: Too much homework
A: Homework and tests
A: Doing homework
A: The rules
[for the record, I'm pretty sure I'm on the "light homework load" end of the middle school spectrum. And I only have four rules.]


Q: What did you like least about the teacher?
A: She gave us homework
A: That she gave me detentions
A: Writing name on board
A: That was funny [I have no idea what this means]


Q: What did the teacher do to make the class interesting and relevant?
A: Seeing a movie [we never watched a single movie in this class]


Sadly, this is the end of the funnies, since I only remembered to survey two classes. I shall do better this year so that next fall we can all giggle together again.

Here's a picture of one of my classes this year. Aren't they great?!?



Good night and God bless.

No comments: