Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Like Pot Roast to a College Student

I've been teaching English as a second language since 2005. I started teaching older teens in China. Then I taught adult refugees and immigrants in the US. Now I'm teaching middle schoolers in Ecuador.

Though I have enjoyed all of my differing groups and ability levels, it seems that for my current students (ESL kids, 11-14 year olds enrolled in a private, international Christian school) have shown themselves to be the least grateful.

Not that this is a problem. I LOVE my job, and I love my kids. And actually, I hadn't really thought about it until tonight. And this is why:

Tonight I volunteered at Spotlight Listeners' Club. This is an international radio broadcast geared for English Language Learners (ELLs). The program, which lasts about 15 minutes, is presented in a very slowed-down version of English, and a script is provided for participants, to aid in their understanding of the program. [if you're interested in learning more, check out the website: http://spotlight.hcjb.org/]

My church hosts the club twice a month, and after being pestered (ahem) I mean, pursued by a friend at church for a year, I decided to come volunteer this school year. Tonight was my first night.

The participants seat themselves according to their perceived level (basic, intermediate, or advanced). I sat with the beginners and spent five minutes during the ice-breaker time asking their names and facilitating a conversation related to the topic of the evening (God's Plan for Your Money). They each thanked me sincerely, in broken English, at least twice.

Then after the program, I was assigned to help an intermediate group. As our leader was introducing the volunteers, I noticed a group of participants who were nudging each other and nodding in my direction- I had been scoped. They came and we spent about 40 minutes playing a budgeting game and then about 15 minutes of me prompting conversation.

At the end, as a group they asked me if I would meet with them for more practice. They talked about how they're usually nervous about using their English, but that I made them feel comfortable and they wanted more practice. In the end, we compromised by agreeing to look for each other at the next Spotlight.

But the point is the appreciation of the participants. I miss that. I'm sure that one day, my ESL students will recognize that I love them and care about them and worked hard to put them at ease and help them learn. But for most of my pre-pubescent teens, that day is not likely to come soon. I had forgotten the joy of having people acknowledge and express their appreciation for what I do. Like I said- I haven't been lamenting the loss, but the reminder tonight was really great. A mini-high in the middle of my school week.

I think it's like pot roast to a college student. You know- a kid grows up in a family where home-made dinners are served most nights, and the kid couldn't care less. In fact, he probably would rather have a Big Mac than a homemade feast any day.

But one day, that kid goes to college and lives off mass-produced food and ramen noodles. By Thanksgiving, he would donate his kidney for a homemade turkey dinner. Like my various students. AAI kids have been raised on teachers who care about them; who go above and beyond to help them be successful. They live and breathe it and as a result, they often don't know how good they have it. But the participants at Spotlight tonight- they may have never had a teacher who's kind to them. That's not the way it usually is here. And they want to speak English desperately. So much that they're willing to travel for over an hour to come practice English. No doubt their reasons vary, but their internal motivation is consistent. They want to learn and they can't say enough how much they appreciate our willingness to help.

Pot roast for a college student. People who appreciate what they're getting, and are generous in their thankfulness. Ahhhh! The whole things makes my heart happy. Thanks, Spotlighters!

No comments: