Friday, February 26, 2010

If Only We'd Known...

I monitor a class each day that's called GRC and is basically a cross between a study hall and private tutoring. Twice a quarter I send our paperwork for my students' teachers to fill out. The forms ask for students' current grades in their courses, missing work, upcoming projects/test/quizzes, and comments.

After I collect all the paperwork, I have a mini-conference with each student to go through their class info and talk about how they're doing. The kids usually look forward to this time. There are lots of conversations that go like this:

Me: So, Mr. X says you're having trouble with quizzes. Does that sound right?

Student: Yah, I guess.

Me: Any ideas why you might be having trouble with quizzes?

Student: ....Umm....well....maybe I could study more?

Me: Yah, that seems like a great plan. Let's try that...

This week I was going through said routine with my kids. I call a student up to talk, and the other students work on homework. I have a very small classroom, so everyone is hearing what's being said. I don't like it, but can't really leave the room.

So I was conferencing with Maria (names have been changed to protect the...guilty? :) ). Maria has some trouble keeping her mouth to herself during class. Even if I didn't have her in three classes myself, I could have guessed that from the consistent complaints about talking from every teacher.

I was on Maria's 4th or 5th review out of six. We were basically repeating the same dialog for each subject:

Me: Hmm, Miss Y says that you need to stop talking in class...?

Maria: (look of surprise and indignance) I'm not TALKING!

Me: Really? Why would Miss Y say you were if you weren't?

Maria: Ok, so I'm sitting in class and I have to ask Camila for a pencil and Miss Y says, "MARIA! Stop talking!!"

(I stare dubiously at Maria for a moment)

Me: So how did you ask for a pencil without talking? Are you blinking out the message in moris code?

Maria: But I was just asking for a pencil!!!

Me: So you WERE, in fact, talking...

Maria: But!!

Me: Ok, the rule is no talking. How can we solve your pencil problem AND keep your from getting in trouble with Miss Y? Ideas?

Maria: I could bring my own pencil to class?

Me: EUREKA! I think that's a great plan. Let's try that.


As Maria and I hammered out ideas for how to annoy her teachers less, one of my other students, Josué, stops working on his homework and looks up at us thoughtfully.

And then these hilarious, heartening words spilled from his sincere middle-schooler lips:

"You know, Maria, sometimes in class it kinda helps to pay attention."

No sarcasm. No attitude. It was moment of heartfelt sharing of "new and profound" information.

I laughed long and loud. Then I repeated Josué's profundity for the whole class.

Me: Everyone! I want you to remember this wise thing Josué just said: Sometimes in class it kinda helps to pay attention.

Touché, Josué. Touché.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha this is great Leslie! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely have to try this next week in class. haha

Jenn =) said...

Dude, you need to make a motivational poster out of that or something! Hahaha...priceless!!!